WAYS TO VOLUNTEER:
1. DISTRIBUTION CENTER (Lowcountry Orphan Relief-Charleston, SC)
The main way to volunteer is at our Distribution Center. This is where we sort, store, pack and distribute all donations for the children we are serving. We provide each child a Care Kit filled with clothing, shoes, and toiletries as well as school supplies, stuffed animals, and books.
When: Monday-Friday between 9:30am-3:30pm. We typically schedule a couple volunteer groups per day in 2-hour time slots. Therefore, volunteering would be 9:30a-11:30a, 10:00a-12:00p, or 1:30p-3:30p, depending on the day.
Where: 1850 Truxtun Avenue, North Charleston, SC 29405 (located on the old navy yard)
- Please contact Christina at Christina@LORkids.org for available volunteer time slots
REQUIREMENTS: Volunteers must be 12 years of age or older and if between the ages of 12-15 must be accompanied by a guardian/chaperone.
DISTRIBUTION CENTER (Midlands Orphan Relief-Columbia, SC)
- If you are interested in volunteering at our Columbia, SC location, please reach out to Kate@LORkids.org for more information.
2. NEIGHBORHOOD CAPTAINS (Lowcountry Orphan Relief-Charleston, SC)
Become a Neighborhood Captain in your community! As a NC, you are a voice for LOR. You will help spread the word of our mission and are also a drop-off location for your neighbors. We ask that the NC be willing to collect donations from their neighbors and bring it to our distribution center in North Charleston, Monday-Friday between 9:00am-4pm.
Check out a current list of our Neighborhood Captains HERE.
- Please contact Christina at Christina@LORkids.org if you’d like to be added to our list of Neighborhood Captains.
NEIGHBORHOOD CAPTAINS (Midlands Orphan Relief-Columbia, SC)
- If you are interested in volunteering as a Neighborhood Captain for the Midlands region, please reach out to Kate@LORkids.org for more information.
3. FUNDRAISING/COLLECTION DRIVES
Great for all ages! Get creative and conduct your own fundraising/collection drive to benefit LOR! You can raise funds or collect high need items and then drop them off right at our distribution center. We will schedule a day to give you a tour and show you firsthand the importance of how each donation we collect goes directly to a child in need!
Please download, complete our Fundraising/Collection Drive Agreement, and email it to Christina@LORkids.org prior to hosting your drive:.
4. CHILDREN’S EVENTS
We have two signature events each year where we get to have fun with some of the children we are serving through LOR! Below you will find Saturday events that where we can use YOUR HELP!
❖ Beach Day:
⮚When: August 5, 2023
⮚Where: Folly Beach
⮚What: Foster families and group homes will come to our reserved beach house and our volunteers will help with the set-up and break-down of the event as well as hang out with kids (swimming, playing games, building sandcastles, etc.).
❖ Make A Child Happy Day: (Please note: volunteers slots are full at this time)
⮚When: TBD 2023
⮚What: Foster families and group homes will join us for a fun fall carnival hosted at LOR. There are lots of activities including bouncy houses, rides, face painting, hay rides, games, a DJ, and more!
REQUIREMENTS: Volunteers need to be 21 years of age or older and must have a cleared SLED background check before participating at any of LOR’s children’s events. Volunteers are not allowed to bring their own children to LOR’s children’s events.
- Please contact Christina at Christina@LORkids.org if you’re interested in volunteering or sponsoring either of these events.
5. ANNUAL GALA
LOR hosts a very upscale gala annually; our largest fundraising event of the year! There will be raffles, a silent auction, and a live auction along with dinner, cocktails, and a live band! We also need volunteers to help with collecting live & silent auction items.
⮚ When: March 25, 2023
⮚ Where: Trident Technical College
⮚ REQUIREMENTS: Volunteers must be 21 years of age or older to participate.
- If you would like any more information on gala needs or are interested in volunteering or sponsoring this event, please contact Christina@lorkids.org
- Looking for a fun way to give back this holiday season? Look no further! Lowcountry Orphan Relief’s annual Stocking Drive helps STOCK our distribution center with BRAND NEW items to give to local children in need. Sponsor 1 or sponsor 100, the choice is yours! What better way to show love this holiday season than to provide basic necessities for children who would otherwise go without.
- If you would like more information regarding this initiative, please contact Stockings@lorkids.org